Thursday, October 08, 2009

Fall is here!

Life seems to be passing me by FAST! My last post was at the end of August, and now here it is October and the weather has turned cool and the leaves are changing, and I'm the mom of an 18 month old!! Wow!!

We've had a very busy week so far -- the boy had his 18-month check along with 3 shots, I had a check w/ my doctor that resulted in some medicine and a flu shot, and I also took my first trip to the dentist in 4 years. Luckily, my teeth still look great after all that time. I've taught 6 aerobics classes, driven all over to drop off and pick up my son, attempted to take the dogs to the vet (our walk-in clinic we love is closed for a couple weeks, but I didn't know that til I got to the office), and went to Fire Safety week at a local museum. And it's only Thursday!!

Tomorrow is Mom's Day Out, and it's my turn to be OUT! I'm meeting a friend for coffee, and then I'm debating about coming home to clean or hitting the mall to do a little shopping. What a decision, huh?

I know I've been absent from here lately, and I've been spending my blogging time on facebook, but I think I'm missing my blog. Maybe you'll see more of me in the near future!

In the meantime, here's a new recipe I tried today. It was SO yummy! I only made half the recipe because my butternut squash was small. And I may have calculated the curry powder incorrectly because my soup had quite a bit of spice. I liked it, but others may not like it that spicy. I paired it with hot Naan right out of the oven. Oooh boy! So good!

SLOW COOKER CURRIED SQUASH SOUP

INGREDIENTS
1 large butternut squash (about 4 lb), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 10 cups)
1 large apple, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 3/4 cups)
1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
3 1/2 cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
1/2 cup canned coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 small red apple, unpeeled, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup), if desired


DIRECTIONS
1. Spray 4- to 5- quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, toss squash, apple, onion, curry powder, salt and white pepper. Pour broth over vegetable mixture.
2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
3. Pour about 3 cups of the soup mixture into blender; add coconut milk and brown sugar. Cover and blend until smooth; return to cooker. Blend remaining soup mixture, in 2 more batches of 3 cups each, until smooth; return to cooker.
4. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or unto hot. Serve topped with chopped apple.

I got the recipe from the Pillsbury website -- here's the link: http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=46164&WT.dcsvid=Mzg0Njc0OTg1OQS2&rvrin=DBBD7E49-9BFB-43A8-A8E2-10E93C187E70&WT.mc_id=Newsletter_PB_10_06_2009&rvrin=DBBD7E49-9BFB-43A8-A8E2-10E93C187E70

5 comments:

Holly said...

I've missed seeing you on here!! I still love my blog & am getting tired of facebook. It's very impersonal. I hope you start posting more!!

Amy said...

Wow! Two posts in one day! I agree...I've missed you (not that I've blogged much lately...)!

This recipe looks yummy...would B eat it? So it ends up all being smooth, right? except if you add the apple at the end? I'll have to try it!

Sally said...

No, B won't eat it. He did try the tiniest taste, but then crinkled up his nose. Oh well, more for me!

Yes, it's all smooth when you're done - you blend all of it. I used the coconut milk it called for b/c I had some in the pantry, but I bet it would taste fine w/ half and half. And I didn't add the apple at the end, but I DID add a bit of sour cream on top of it. I'm glad there are leftovers!

Holly - I'll try to keep up my posting...I need to post about B's surprise party and an update on the boy anyway. =)

Amy said...

Okay, so I made this yesterday. Not sure I would have done it without the immersion blender...moving it all from the crock pot to the blender and back sounded like a messy pain in the butt. But with the immersion blender it was easy! I thought it was good, but didn't need all the sugar...it was almost too sweet. I thought it could use some shredded chicken...J thought some potatoes. Overall we liked it though...thanks for sharing!

Perhaps we'll have to make Tomato Bisque while you're here...if we even have any nights that we're eating in!

Sally said...

It was kind of a pain to take it all out of the crock pot and put it into the food processor...I had to have a third bowl. It's funny you say that about the sugar because I remember thinking that I didn't taste the sugar that I added. I did notice that it seemed a lot thicker when I re-heated it, but I still thought it was good the next day.

Yeah, we should make tomato bisque if we ever eat in while I'm there. =)