Wednesday, August 09, 2006

End of an era

I'm not sure if I'd call it an era, but I had my last day at work today. I've been there over 3 years...that's a record for me. The only other place I've worked longer was my part time job in college where I worked in the bookstore for about 3 1/2 years.

It didn't feel like my last day. I worked 10 hours (just like normal), took a 15 minute lunch break, ran around like I was going to miss a deadline -- which I guess I kinda did since I still have my phone and my laptop even though I'm officially off the payroll. What do you call that? It didn't start to hit me that I was leaving until I loaded the last box in the car and started to drive away. I think for the next week or so I'll feel like I'm just on vacation. In fact, at the Karaoke bar tonight (my final going away party -- there have been 3 or 4 and NO, I DID NOT SING), we heard about an injury that happened at the plant this afternoon, and I asked questions like it was still my business. Isn't this the have a job and be part of a company where you feel so connected?

I love my company -- oops, former company. At least I love everyone at my location. We had our rough times, no question, but lately, things were wonderful. I'm going to miss that. I think I'll find something similar at my new job, but it will take time to create those relationships that made this job so great. Those great relationships mean that I will keep in touch with many people, but it won't be the same, and we'll slowly lose touch.

My team gave me the GREATEST going away gift. 2 tickets to see my NFL team play at home (which will now be close to my new home). How awesome is that??? And they're good seats to boot. My hubby and I have been strategizing how we were going to score tickets to EVERY home game this year....well, we're one game closer to that goal. Go Team!

Oh, and I finally reserved an auto transport for my baby, er, car. I booked with a division of FedEx...nothing I could find on the internet said anything bad about them...AND they insure my car for up to $100,000, AND it gets to ride in an ENCLOSED trailer. I'll let you know how it goes. The bad news is they have to pick up the car this week, otherwise, I might have to wait for 3-4 weeks for another truck. That means that my in-laws will have to receive and store the car until I get there about 12 days from now.

Now...if we could just sell that house...actually, both houses...

No comments: