Today is the 7 year anniversary of when B and I got engaged. It seems like just yesterday in so many ways...but we've grown so much as a couple, also. I stole this MEME from Shalee's Diner, and it seems to fit perfectly for today.
1. Where/How did you meet? We met at work, where we were both 2nd shift supervisors. You can read about our story here.
2. How long have you known each other? 8 years
3. How long after you met did you start dating? 5 months
4. How long did you date before you were engaged? 10 months
5. How long was your engagement? 3 months
6. How long have you been married? almost 7 years
7. What is your anniversary? November 11 (Veteran's Day!)
8. How many people came to your wedding reception? 90
9. What kind of cake did you serve? white cake and chocolate cake -- both with white frosting...I have 2 of my bridemaids on the video taste-testing to see which one tastes best...one said chocolate, one said white! =)
10. Where was your wedding? Bakersfield, CA
11. What did you serve for your meal? Tri-tip and chicken with greek salad, bread and red potatoes
12. How many people were in your wedding party? 3 bridesmaids, 2 groomsmen
13. Are you still friends with them all? Yep! And we were in all of their weddings also! We don't get to see them enough though.
14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony? He got misty eyed after we lit the unity candle and were listening to an awesome song (I'll tell you more about it below). But, I didn't cry! My sister BAWLED though!
15. Most special moment of your wedding day? Watching my not-so-emotional husband be so moved by what we were embarking on...looking into his eyes as we stood before his dad and all our friends and family...remembering that moment has reminded me over and over again about the commitment we made to each other that day...that's the best thing for me to remember when I'm so mad at him I could scream! =)
16. Any funny moments? As we left the stage during the recessional, B leaned over and whispered, "let's run!" I grabbed his arm and said NO! After all, I was the one in a long dress and train, with 4" heels. He didn't listen, and started running down the aisle. I stepped on the front of my dress and started to go down (keep in mind...this is funny NOW, then, I was kinda mad!), but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back up. I think we heard everyone gasp, and on the video you can hear him saying, "Run!", and see me almost fall.
17. Any big disasters? Nothing huge, but B did end up with the wrong tie on his tux. I ordered the tuxes and explained to him what it would look like -- but, who was I kidding? It didn't mean anything to him. He showed up at the photographer's studio where we were supposed to have a romantic moment where we saw each other for the first time, and all I could say was, "you have the wrong tie!". Luckily, the tux shop was close by, so someone ran back and exchanged it...stupid Type-A coming out there...
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon? Maui...yeah, baby!
19. How long were you gone? 7 days -- not long enough! The day after we got back, we loaded up and drove out to our new home in East Texas.
20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change? I probably wouldn't have had a formal dinner or a DJ. It was fun, but we didn't dance (ultra conservatives on my in-laws' side). I just had the DJ to keep things flowing...but a friend could have done that...for a lot less money.
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on? Always the left side...always, always, always
22. What size is your bed? King (has to be room for us AND the dogs)
23. Greatest strength as a couple? We are both completely committed to our marriage...we've had some rough patches, but we are in it for the long haul!
24. Greatest challenge as a couple? We were both very independent before we got married, so sometimes making a decision we BOTH agree on is very difficult.
25. Who literally pays the bills? Sally
26. What is your song? We don't really have a song, but the one below (see the video in the previous post) was sung during our ceremony, and I love it! Every time we hear it on the radio, I tell B it's our song.
Taking you home - (don henley/stan lynch/stuart brawley)
I had a good life
Before you came
I had my friends and my freedom
I had my name
Still there was sorrow and emptiness
til you made me glad
Oh, in this love I found strength I never knew I had
And this love
Is like nothing I have ever known
Take my hand, love
Im taking you home
Taking you home
There were days, lonely days
When the world, wouldnt throw me a crumb, no no
But I kept on believing
That this day would come
And this love
Is like nothing I have ever known, no no baby
Take my hand love
Im taking you home
Im taking you, home
Where we can be with the ones who really care
Home, where we can grow together
Keep you in, my heart forever
27. What did you dance your first dance to? We didn't dance at our wedding, so our first dance as a married couple was probably at our friends' wedding 6 months later.
28. Describe your wedding dress: It was gorgeous! It was scoop neck with an inverted V Empire waist. It had cap sleeves, and the entire bodice was covered in beads (it was VERY heavy). The skirt was satin, but not shiny satin. And there was a very modest bow on the back that was covered in the same beads as the bodice...the ribbon of the bow was about 2 feet long. It also had a short train. I had seen the dress on A Wedding Story and made a drawing of it...and what do ya know? I found the EXACT dress at the first bridal shop we went to...it was the last one I tried on! AND, it fit perfectly! No alterations required!
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding? Deep red roses and white stephanotis...the bridesmaids also had some white roses in their bouquets.
30. Are your wedding bands engraved? I had B's engraved. It says, "Ruth 1:16-17" Those verses are: But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me."
31. How old were you when you got married? He was 31 and I was 26.