Monday, March 26, 2007

Stinkin' Flat Tire



This is how my fun-filled Monday started out...with a freakin' flat tire.

I left home a little late...it is Monday after all...and I had to stop for gas and coffee on the way. By the way, I discovered this morning that my favorite place (Quick Trip) where I make my own version of a yummy caramel latte that costs $0.95 if you use their cup...only costs $0.63 if I take my own cup! I can save 32 cents a day!!!

Anyway, back to the story...I got my gas, got my coffee and headed off to my joyous job (note sarcasm). When I was less than 1 mile from work, I came across some wood in the road. I was heading south, but in the northbound lanes, it looked like someone had dropped a wood pallet that broke all over the road. There were two 6" x 1" splinters in my lane. I had coffee in one hand, the steering wheel in the other, and someone in the lane next to me...so I did my best to avoid the wood. I missed one piece and hit the other...and I heard a loud BOOM under my car as I passed by. My car continued to head south, so I kept driving to work, all the while thinking that the last time I hit something in the road -- a HUGE pothole in the dark -- I had to replace ALL 4 TIRES...not something that I wanted to repeat.

When I got to work and gathered all my junk and got out of the car, I heard the dreaded hissing sound coming from my left front tire. Stink! I got down on my hands and knees in the parking lot and tried to feel for the leak, but I couldn't find it. I called B and told him that I "had done something to my car"...which of course, only made him think about the pothole incident, as well.

I called AAA (thank God for AAA!), and the nicest guy showed up to help. He filled my tire with air, and then had me back up slowly so he could find the leak. He said if it was small then he could plug it right there, and I'd be good as new. It took a while to find it, which turned out to be good because it did end up to be a very small leak...and he plugged it, and now I'm good to go!

Whew! I so did not need to deal with a flat tire today or this week or ever! Now my Monday can get back to my normal dreaded day instead of an EXTRA dreaded day.

I hate Mondays! Unless I'm on vacation or on a holiday...

4 comments:

G&K said...

I'm with you there! Mondays are not my best! And this one I can't even talk straight, I'm so tired. It sounds like disater avoided though, so hopefully your Monday will end better than it started! :-) I'm trying sooo hard to get a lot of my work done early so I don't have to worry about a pile of stuff to come back to after my honeymoon, but seems like for every one thing I cross off my list, I add two or three more... but life goes on! :-)

Love Bears All Things said...

Sally, I'm so glad you were able to get to work. It didn't blow out and they could fix it there for you. I once hit a pot hole on a Freeway and ruined two tires. It has made me paranoid about my tires ever since. I hope the rest of your day went well.

Chelf said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, and please come back anytime. I am happy to share. I am liking this meeting new people, it can be so random.

I would really like to get perspective from you and your family experiences in and out of the CofC. I have grown up in them from NY to CO to NM to OK. There can be drastic differences across the street, or amazing similarities across the country.

I have friends in Wichita. Would be nothing new to me if you had met them. Maybe we can discuss that sometime in further detail.

For now, I am going to add you to my blogroll as well, and we can learn more about each other that way.

I am happy that you got your tire fixed, and your Monday wasn't the dread you had planned for. God is good.

Terry said...

Oh I hate tire problems.. Glad you were able to get the help quickly!!

I too, am paranoid about my tires.. My Co-workers think I am crazy for checking them so often, but when one of my 18 tires blows, it is quite a big deal.. Better safe than sorry!!