Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Girls Night Out

I wrote this while waiting at the airport at 5:30am on Saturday morning, but this is the first chance I've had to post it...

Last night was girls’ night out for our little group from the Y. We used to call ourselves the Route 44 gang (named by one of the husbands) because we started out going to Sonic for sodas after the gym on Saturday mornings. It’s evolved into something much more now. We email several times a week, chat on the phone, walk in 5k’s (one of us ran), talk obsessively about what new step combo we’ll learn next week, and in general….we NEVER shut up. There is never a quiet moment, let alone second, when the 4 of us are together. If we’re not all trying to talk at once about something, then there are a couple conversations going on at the same time.

Last night the plan was to eat dinner at The Texas Roadhouse and then head over to Babies R Us to get me registered. Well, our call-ahead plan to the restaurant kind of backfired on us, and we still had to wait 30 minutes. And then we started chatting at the table so it took us a while to decide what to eat, but that’s ok because that’s what the three baskets of bread were for! The 2 preggos in our group decided on good ‘ol beef and baked potatoes (we ate broccoli, too!) while the other 2 had salad and chicken. Our service was a little slow also because our teeny bopper server couldn’t stay away from the table across from us where there were 2 dudes sitting. We got a good laugh at how they checked out her ultra-flat, and not attractive, butt every time she walked away. Ok, so we checked it out, too…just to see what all the fuss was about.

After all of this drama, we didn’t get to the store until 35 minutes before they closed. I had to fill out a form, get the quick intro to the scanner, etc., by the clerk, and then we were off. Or so we thought…next we had to escape the stalking sales guy in the car seat area. I finally got registered for about 10 things. Oh well.

We were quite the sight running around the store, talking all at once, pushing the cart that held all our coats and purses…and then we ultimately had to get kicked out when they wanted to lock the doors. But, we had fun. And I was overwhelmed as I expected, but the humor of our group running around helped with some of that.

Now we just have to find a time to go back and actually get it all done. Maybe next Friday night. Hey, this is a good way for us to get girls’ night out every week!


The Hooper Family said...

Glad you made it back safely! Hope you weren't too overwhelmed Friday night! It is amusing thinking back on it....I'm sure we were quite a sight! See you Wed or Thurs!

Davi and John said...

there's nothing like good girl friends, eh? I love that we never shut up...that's waht us girls are good for!

Amy said...

sounds fun...i'm a little stressed about the whole registry thing...one more thing on my to do list! so good to see you yesterday, even if for only 10 minutes!