Friday, February 22, 2008


Understatement of the afternoon was "unexpected"...

I spent it in the hospital getting poked, prodded, and in a very unflattering backless faded hospital gown.

I met my SIL for lunch before my normally scheduled doctor's appointment. At lunch, I gobbled up Ellie's fries that she didn't want, and then headed over to the doctor's to be weighed after my salt fest for lunch.

The scale was not nice to me (but the one there never is) and then the nurse took me back to take my blood pressure and to wait for the doctor. My BP was it was 2 weeks ago. The doc took it again after she came in and it was still elevated. Now, I don't know much about BP, and I didn't know at the time what number should alarm me, but I knew that what we were seeing was higher than it normally is for me. Add that to the swelling I've started to have in my feet and ankles, and the doctor sent me right over to the hospital to get some tests run to rule out preeclampsia.

I didn't exactly realize what a big deal preeclampsia was when my doctor first mentioned it b/c my mom had it when she was pregnant with me, and she just had to go off of sodium and stay on bed rest for a bit. But, when I asked my doctor what we would do if I DID have it, she said it was a little premature to talk about it, but that if it was serious enough, they would deliver me, now! Whoa! That freaked me out a bit. Then she said that if I had it, but to a lesser extent, they would monitor it and deliver me before 37 weeks. Still whoa!

I had to ask directions for where to go, since the only time I'd been to the hospital was last week for our birth center orientation, and we were actually across the street. On my drive over, I called The Colonel to tell him what was going on, and I tried to stay calm, for myself and for him. I also called my SIL again, and she said she'd call the 'Rents, and then I called my I was covered in prayer the whole time I was there.

I found my way through the maze of the parking garage and the hallways of the hospital to the maternity floor and got myself checked in. My doctor had called ahead to tell them what I needed. A male nurse named Roy came to take care of me. He was SO nice! He took me to an outpatient room (smaller than a normal labor room) and had me sit and relax for a bit before he took my blood pressure. There was also a new nurse with him who he was training, so the three of us just chatted for a bit until my anxiety passed, and I felt more comfortable.

They took my blood pressure about 4 times, and it was lower than it had been at the doctor's office. Then they drew about 3 vials of blood. I had to give a urine sample and change into that dreaded gown, and then they hooked me up to the heart rate monitor for the baby. The resident doctor came in to talk to me, and she made me feel a lot better because she said that everything so far looked great.

I sat on the monitor for about 45 minutes until they came and told me that all my blood work and urine looked great, and so did the baby's heartbeat. Whew...that felt better. My BP was also staying at it's lower level, and I learned that until it gets over 160, they don't consider it "high" (mine never got over 151).

They had to call my doctor to give her the results before they could let me go, so I thought I was almost out of there. But, then I sat and waited - still in the gown w/ the monitor on - for another 45 minutes. Finally, a new nurse came in (they had changed shifts) to tell me that the resident doc had been called in to a delivery, so we'd have to keep waiting. FINALLY, everyone came back and told me that I could go...BUT, I have to save all of my urine for the next 24 hours! And then take it back to the hospital tomorrow! And it has to stay cold, so it's in the fridge! Are you grossed out yet? The Colonel sure is!!

Right as we were wrapping things up, I got 2 visitors. The 'Rents had come to see me! They had come to town to visit someone in another hospital, so they stopped to see how I was doing. It was very sweet.

So, to end my long story - things look good so far, they'll check my urine again, I'll have another sonogram next week (yay! I've been wanting one), and see my doctor again in one week instead of 2, and we'll keep monitoring my blood pressure.

I'd appreciate your prayers that Lil Major and I stay healthy and that he stays in there until he's full term.

And a few good things did come out of my experience today. I am not so paranoid about the hospital anymore. Everyone was so nice to me (even though they did ask me the same questions 4 times), and I didn't pass out just walking in there. I have a choice of delivering at the birth care center or the hospital (unless the baby comes early), so now I've seen both and will be able to make a better decision.

Well, I better go...I have to go pee in my bucket again. Eww, gross!


Jayme said...

don't do that to me again. I was trying to stay calm for you too...but when I wasn't talking to you I was shaking a little.

take really good care of you ok!

suezque said...

Not that I could do anything from here but pray- but it's kinda freaky to have to find out this stuff on your blog!!!
Hopefully I'll not have to READ about little major's arrival :-)
Glad everything is okay- praying for you like crazy, just like I've been doing for 6 months now that doesn't seem to add up- but that's when you announced it...:-) Remind the kernal that it's not MT. DEW!!!

Chelf said...

Ugh. I hate being in the gowns. It is so humiliating. I am glad you had a good experience while at the hospital.

I am so glad I did not know about this stuff on Thursday night. I bet... that food at Pei Wei was salty, and that may have had a little to do with the high BP.

Praying for you, a lot.

Agnes said...

Wow...that's scary. I'm really glad you and the baby are okay. And that you had a good experience at the hospital. Keep me posted!

Davi said...

I will be praying for you too! I know how stressful pregnancy can be at times. I had nonstop contractions with Finn starting at 25 weeks till he delivered--I think now that being anxious about it probably made things worse. Best thing to do is pray and take it easy!

Eliza said...

After you have your baby, modesty goes out the window. I can't tell you how many people have seen my butt and my breasts, but I'm sure it's a lot!

I had that whole thing happen to me too, but I was closer to my due date! It's really scary, I'm so glad you guys are doing good and are okay!

Terri said...

Glad to hear things are okay with you and your baby...and I agree with Eliza, after having a baby-modesty DOES go out the window:) Anyway, hope you didn't think it was totally random that I emailed you beings that I don't know you...but I enjoy looking at your blog and thought you might like the jeep bin. I'm not usually "outgoing" like that! Feel free to keep looking at my blog...I am loving the blogging world!

Terri said...

so glad that things turned out well and yes preeclampsia is serious! You and Lil Major will be just fine and either way there will be lots of prayer for you and him! :o) By the way I need an address please. Can you send your home address to my email: (I'm not telling what I need it for but it's something good!).

shell said...

eek. i'm so sorry this happened to you, but i'm glad that things ended up well and that you even had some visitors. :) i don't envy you for peeing in the bucket, though. hehe.


~Denise~ said...

Glad to hear things are looking alright at the moment. I know the pee jug isn't fun, but it reflects an accurate level of protein in your urine if it is there. Best wishes for an uneventful remainder to your pregnancy!

2x pre-e mom

*found your blog via a google alert for preeclampsia.

Christine said...

Glad everything turned out ok. Take care of yourself girlie!

Jenni said...

I'm glad everything turned out okay. I'll be prayin' for ya:o)